2 May 2012

'Grunge' as fashion...?

So while the fashion world is having yet another love-in with the 'grunge' look, I am giggling over the articles in glossy magazines aimed at twentysomethings telling you the 'how tos' of getting that glam grunge look. 

Sorry New Look, I love ya but pleeeease don't push this crap!

Magazine 'fashion' shoot for Grunge styling.
I like it but is it a fashion fad??

Um... yeah.  Not something I thought the high fash mags would be pushing as the style du jour  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>


Now I'm not going to harp on that I've always been a 'Grunger' and these luvvies don't know what they're doing. But, I am going to say that these kids who are doing it for the foreseeable fashion season future are pissing me off. Already.  


Google the term 'Grunge' and image upon image pop up of photo's from fashion blogs telling you how to style your Dr. Martens and which high street shop is best for band t-shirts.  


Which reminds me:


UNLESS YOU KNOW THE BAND - DON'T WEAR THE SHIRT YOU IDIOTS!!!!! (Pet hate)

Yes you Miley - I'm real sure you know who Iron Maiden are....

Many of us born in the 80's kids, who grew up listening to Nirvana and Guns n Roses, who wore dungarees as pre-teens, turned our tie-dye caps back to front and had a collection of printed oversize cartoon tee's and leggings, still continue to have a slight penchant for the style we know well.  Many of my mates were skater boys, us girls did disco classes in sequins and spandex and we all hung out in ghastly clothes any cool kid in Brick Lane would now get wet over.

Clarissa was 'explaining it all' in the sort of outfits I wore as a kid and she is still a bit of a fashion icon for me!!

I always laughed when my mum would say things like "Oh I remember that look the first time round!"... Now I know how she feels.  There's nothing worse than watching a young 'it' girl walking around in a pair of Dr. Martens knowing full well that she ain't gonna love them come the next fashion fad.  And you know how much I love my Doc's... it causes me real pain to know those best of British stompers are a teenagers new favourite toy.  Grrr grrr grr grrrrrr!!!


Anyway, rant over.


To round up - grunge is not cool.  It's just a look, like any other.  Give it 3 more months and those fashion girls will be back in their stiletto's wondering what the hell they were thinking!


I will be continuing the love I have for denim, Doc's and shaving my head regardless >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment