7 Jan 2012

I have an addiction...

Doctor Martens boots!!  I've been scrolling through page after page this morning just looking and lusting after those air cushioned leather lovelies!  From the black patent pair that adorn my own feet to the beautifully decorated flock designs, and laser cut Gaultier pair in pristine white leather.... swoooon.

Much with the love of tattoos that begun when I started to pay attention to the adults around me at my Dad's fave biker pubs, the same amount of interest with those big clompy work boots started.  My Dad would wear the steel toecap versions for work and I would often be found stomping around the house in them as a small child, probably whilst wearing Nan's old lace petticoat as a wedding vale and carrying a teddy bear...  I knew what I wanted on my feet.

I remember when I was at school at around the age of 7, a girl in the year above me started wearing a black pair of DM's and sporting a shaved head.  It was the early 90's and a look I'd never seen on anyone under the age of 10!  I always remembered that girl and her cool look.

As a teen the pressure to conform was the main rule and trainers were the thing to wear.  Although I went through that phase, I was saved by a pair of white Kickers that I wore and wore until they caved in on my feet!  Actually, those white leather boots are the reason I've been hunting for a pair of white DM's now...

So many of my friends love Doctor Martens boots.  It seems that so many people all over the world are sporting a pair at the moment.  They are like a pair of jeans, always in fashion and go with everything.  I even stumbled across a wedding site telling brides to be that a pair of white boots are the comfy alternative to traditional wedding heels - now that's cool.  Of course there are some people out there who will only buy DM's because they are 'cool' in the eyes of celebs and hot lists.  I feel that if you're only going to buy a pair because they are currently the hottest thing to be seen in, then don't bother.  Doctor Martens are expensive and will last a lifetime if you look after them well.  When I see tweenagers wearing them coz some kid of X factor wore them, it makes me a little sad as I know those beautiful boots will be shoved to the back of the wardrobe never to see the light of day again in a months time.


Oh well, rant over!!  I will always be an avid lover and collector (when money is available that is) and will continue my affair with those comfy boots no matter what fashion dictates.  Promise!  These are my fave images from the world wide web <3










No comments:

Post a Comment