9 Jan 2012

Lipstick V chocolate

Lipstick wins.  End of.

Now for what I actually wanted to write...

I realised recently that I would rather go the rest of my life without eating another bite of chocolate than live without lipstick for even a year!!  Sound a bit dramatic?  Well, lipstick no matter what the shade will always make me feel better about myself.  Chocolate makes me feel sick.  Not to say I don't eat it at all, but I'm more of a savoury snack person.

Lipstick is one of those things that will make a woman feel good about herself no matter what.  It doesn't even have to be lip STICK, it could be lip gloss, balm, shine....  It's that pop of colour that makes your face feel a little less dull.  I wear it to make my face feel 'finished'.

Who wouldn't want to feel a million bucks when in real life you're more Boreham Wood than Hollywood?  If I wake up in the morning after a long hard night draining the local bar, I look and feel like a proper minger.  By the time I've showered and got a slick of lipstick on I'm ready to face the world!  There's a reason why Hollywood stars like Marilyn Monroe and Megan Fox sport bright red lipstick on the red carpet at premiers... it gets you noticed and makes men fall at your feet.  So even if you don't want a bunch of drooling blokes getting in your way, a little pick me up and a Marilyn-esq wiggle in your step can do wonders for your confidence in today's economic shit.  And it has done for decades...

During the Second World War, sales of red lipstick sky rocketed as women clambered to cheer themselves up.  After all, food and clothing was all rationed so what else did they have?  Certainly not chocolate.  This still happens today:


An indicator based on the theory that a consumer turns to less expensive indulgences, such as lipstick, when she (or he) feels less than confident about the future. Therefore, lipstick sales tend to increase during times of economic uncertainty or a recession.  Also known as the "lipstick effect".


It's strange that something so small and in-expensive can cheer up a nation in economic crisis.  And while lipstick might not be your thing, there are other perks that give you that same little fix that puts a smile on your face without the guilt and expense of a whole new outfit.  Keep that in mind the next time those Topshop shoes are calling you to buy them... and get a lippy instead!


No comments:

Post a Comment